Everyone likes to lead a happy and productive life.
In our hectic life, we are always caught up in one thing or the other, working hard for a job, career or business or being busy in personal relationship activities. We seems to have no time, to ponder and working on attaining that state.
We lose focus on what we really want and are in continuous flux of activities and busyness. Our minds are being bombarded with negative or bad news by the news media daily. We seem to think and believe that “To have A Happy & Productive Life” is not attainable by us, no matter how hard we work on it.
The following questions become irrelevant and put in the back burner, and never consider important in our daily existence.
Who am I?
What happens after I die?
What is the purpose of my life on this planet earth?
“An unexamined life is not worth living”. A popular quote from Socrates.
All of us possess treasures within ourselves. The day we are born, our selves arrive in relatively good shape and condition. We come with no biases, no beliefs, no bad habits, likes or dislikes, no doubts, fears and self limits. Then when we grow up, we become more and more self conscious of our abilities and sense of lacks (growing pains in “right” appearance, education, achievements, etc). We see the outside world with wants and needs but not able or sure on how to achieve them. We lose our ambition, drive and direction in life as the years gone by. We leave the management of ourselves to chance.
Unless we do something differently for ourselves now, we are destined to live out our lives unmanaged and unfulfilled.
Self management required some soul searching. It requires Imagination of what our desired state should be and will be. To change the outside world starts with the change of your mindset, you mental attitude of “Why we do what we do”. The casual thinking plays in the shaping of our lives. Your questions and imagination will lead to answers that will propel you to take action towards the desired state you want. If you want to be happy and productive in your own life. you can, you will and you are.
“As a man thinketh in his heart, he is” – James Allen
To be successful, one recurring theme always surfaces, be it on Business, Career, financial investment, self development, good human relationship. etc, it is the Mastery of One Own Mind.
Before I discuss on the topic of “Living a Productive and Happy Life”, I would like to share some quotes expounded by knowledgeable and wise people, the world has even known.
Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now – Goethe
There is a gigantic difference between earning a great deal of money and being rich –Mariene Dietrich
I keep six honest serving men, they taught me all I knew; their names are What & Why and When & How and Where & Who – Rudyard Kipling
A lot of people know what to do, but few people do what they know – Anthony Robbins
Learning without thought is labour lost; thought without learning is perilous – Confucius
An expert is a man who has stopped thinking. Why should he think? He is an expert –Frank Lloyd Wright
Why Self Help Doesn’t Work With Most People
Exposed to ideas from reading self help books, attending seminars, listening to self motivation DVDs, etc are useful in helping us to shape our mode of thinking, from unaware to conscious of the wide range of possibilities. These inspiring thoughts encourage us to do things differently, to create big changes we want in our life.
Unfortunately, most people do not benefit from these techniques that are being expounded by self development coaches or wise thinkers in the past. Why?
The real problem was using an ineffective self help strategy. Model to do something right without first understanding of ”What” and “Why” parts.
What is your objective of doing that and why?
A self help technique is like a tool that you could use, to do a certain task. If you do not have a clear task goal and inspiring reason for doing it, you will not achieve much out of it, in a long run.
You may want to visit some of the following websites, to pick up some pointers on not only doing it right but some clarity and focus on your intended goals.
Do we have Zest for Life?
Why are so many people still struggling to achieve a balance among many priorities, their work, family, relationship, health, etc goals & grinds in life? They work on them, without ease and grace.
I like the one of the better definitions of Zest in Life is the one I read in Wikipedia.
“Zest is one of the 24 strengths possessed by humanity. As a component of the virtue of Courage, zest is defined as living life with a sense of excitement, anticipation, and energy. approaching life as an adventure; such that one has “motivation in challenging situations or tasks”.
Zest is essentially a concept of courage, and involves acquiring the motivation to complete challenging situations and tasks.
Those who have zest exude excitement and energy while approaching tasks in life. Hence, the concept of zest involves performing tasks wholeheartedly, whilst also being adventurous, vivacious and energetic.”
Take Charge of Your Life
Why should you take charge of your life?
If not you, who? If not now, when?
All of us had read many self improvement books, listening to motivation tapes/CD/DVDs and attending self development seminars, in the past, on how to live a “successful” life.
Why are we still looking out for more tips, insights or strategies on how to do that?
Do we have the tools, skills and knowledge to get started and achieve our own goals?
Yes. We have.
Even the best advices from guru will not help us, if we don’t dedicate effort to do it, and do it well ourselves.
We have the choice to make the change.
We can, we will and we are.
Take charge of your own life. Make consistent SMART actions to achieve your dream goals.
Every effort counts.
It adds up.
You will be surprised with the results after sometime of prodding on.
Your destiny is in your own hands.
The time has come for you to make the first big move. To take charge of what you want to do next.
- Be your own Boss, by starting your dream business
- Change to a new job with better prospect, personal growth development opportunity, monetary gain, etc. etc.
- To reduce your over-weight body with a new recipe for success into trim and fit body
- Seeking your ideal lifetime partner
- Writing a book you have been talking for ages and never get around doing it
- Stay healthy and be Happy and so on.
Instead of being excited of this opportunity to make the change for the better, you may freeze on making the necessary decisions and moves.
You procrastinate on your decision to act and worry about what could happen next negatively. You are looking for perfect timing, situation and sign of guaranteed success before you take the plunge. Why?
You have no confidence of your ability to achieve success in it. You perceive one or more of the following way of thinking/emotions:
- Your lack of knowledge or skills to manage the change
- Your fear of uncertainty and unknown following the move
- You need more resources, man, time, materials, etc to manage the change
- You’re unsure of your abilities and passion to cope following the change
- You are too comfortable or accommodating in one’s life condition (even unpleasant ones) to make the change
- You worry of all the possible things that can go wrong, shame of failures and loss of something you already have. The list goes on, the pains rather than the pleasures of achieving your goals are your pre-occupation and prime emotive forces. You wait for the perfect timing and circumstances which have never come. The opportunity for success in it has just passed you by.
You have the choices.
You could choose happiness over sadness. You could choose decisiveness & courage over indecision & fear of failure.
“Success” or “Failure” in life is not determined by your circumstances but by the way that you think in your own mind.
Many a time, if you are aware of what is the problem in your hand, you could solve it more easily with critical thinking and facts.
Difference between Winners and Losers in Life
When a Winner makes a mistake, he says, “I was wrong”. When a Loser makes a mistake, he says, “It wasn’t my fault”.
A Winner comes across a problem, he takes it as an opportunity to solve it and providing value add service to others. A Loser goes around it, and never get pass the problem.
A Winner says, “There ought to be a better way to do it:”. A Loser says, “That’s the way it’s always been done here”.
Every situation/problem demands a decision on your part. To act or not to act in a certain way.
You can take initiative to keep it going and making a success out of it or you can make excuse/s for why thing could not been done.
You have the sole power to make the change.
The Choice is yours.
Choose to be a Winner!
Achieve Success in Your Undertaking
1) Define your situation/problem that needs to be solved. Make sure you invest enough time and effort to define it concisely. This will ensure that you focus on the “real” problem in hand. It is better to have it written done on paper, in the form of a problem statement, for ease of reference. A well defined problem is a problem half solved!
2) Your mental state. You should maintain a positive mental attitude, a “Winner” mindset throughout your pursuit in achieving success in your undertaking.
3) Your Desired Outcome. What you want to achieve at the end of your pursuits, the SMART (Specific, Measurable, Assignable, Realistic Time Based) Goals.
4) What You Could Do. What are the things that you could do by your own effort. Know thyself, use SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats) Technique.
5) What Other People Help You Need. Outside help you need to achieve your goals. Seek up and get support on this as soon as possible.
6) Visualize Achieving Your Goals. Mentally rehearse every facet and feeling in your pursuit, to obtain your desired outcome. This exercise if done it on a daily basis, will improve your chance of attaining your goals even much faster and easier.
7) Take Action. Have a plan and work on your action items day by day without fail, with end in mind.
Fail to plan, plan to fail.
All the well-thought through plan will not help you if you have never get it started.
Make your first baby step today.
Gets it going until completion.
Have a PDCA (Plan Do Check Action) Cycle work plan, to keep you on track.
Monitor Progress and made the necessary adjustments, but do not lose sight of your final destination/goal. Success is more assured this way.
Do It with Ease & Grace
To do things well with ease and grace, certain conditions need to be satisfied.
1. You need to know thyself.
What you can do and what you can’t do. One way is to know your strength, weakness, opportunity and threat (SWOT). By doing more of your strength, mitigate your weakness, looking at problem as opportunity for growth and scenario planning of likely threat, desired outcome is more likely to happen.
2. To do well in any undertaking
You need to know the stuff inside out. Be a master/expert on the subject matter. Start of by being a good student on the undertaking. Continuous improvement is the key to success. Rehearse and practise until you excel in it.
3. Manage Change
Expect change to happen that will upset your plan. It can be resources, time, people that pull a brake to your progress. Be prepared to make the necessary adjustment to your undertaking but do not lose sight of your objective. One way is to follow the Plan-Do-Check-Action cycle.
4. Positive Mindset
There will be a time when the going is tough. Don’t lose faith in your undertaking. Keep on moving in the direction of your goal. Be patient and plough on. Take every problem as opportunity for personal development. To learn new things and unlearn those that does not work.
5. Enjoy Your Undertaking with Ease & Grace
Accept that there are the good, not so good and bad experiences along a way. Alway look at the bright side of things. Have fun and joy while pursuing your goal. Success in your undertaking is more assured this way.
I ask that if I ever say anything that captures your interest, that you get involved within my site. If you have anything interesting that you want to share or any opinions of any of the content I have created on my site, please do speak up. I love feedback in every form.
I wish you all the best with Prosperity and Good Health and and thank you for dropping by.
Bye from now.
Reuben H C Ong (a.k.a Reubeno)